"The teacher is the chief learner in the classroom."
- Donald Graves

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Collaboration




This was an interesting week for me and one that I actually wasn't looking forward to mainly because the assignment required that I work with other people. People I don't really know well. I'm not a hermit, nor averse to working with people. It's just that I have my own ideas and have always had a desire to control my own destiny. It's not that I'm a control freak, nor driven by the "grade." As I've gotten older, I've realized the importance of learning over completing an assignment because I want a good grade. I guess I'm past that.

The big issue was that I had to be patient, communicate clearly, and, most importantly, get over on my perfectionist tendencies. This turned out to be way less of a challenge than I expected largely due to the constraints of the Google site tool. It didn't allow for too many changes without writing html, so I had to work within the boundaries. I did, believe it or not, look at the source code twice to try and figure out how to change the number of columns, but decided that since my collaborators might not appreciate my potentially creating extra work for them, and just went with it.

I enjoyed the creative aspect of this week's assignment. I have always been creative, but not necessarily artistic. I can't draw or paint but have a deep appreciate for those who can. I think I appreciate good design and the effort that goes into making something look effortless. When I was young, I wanted to be an architect and spend hours drawing plans for buildings. I still do that sometimes.

While I at first looked on this week as a real challenge, I realize that it was probably one of the best weeks I've had. I worked with some very capable, dedicated, conscientious people and I think our end product is awesome. I enjoyed collaborating with them. You can view our site by clicking the image.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment