"The teacher is the chief learner in the classroom."
- Donald Graves

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Action Research Plan Outline

Hello fellow action researchers! Over the past two days, I have been developing, refining and discussing my plan to study the effect of instructional-aide delivered, technology-based interventions on student learning. The process has really forced me to think about all the details; which is good, because I'm usually a big picture kind of guy. One of the most important lessons I learned in this process is that it really does help, as I believe Dr. Abshire stated, to start with the end in mind. I found my self visualizing meetings and anticipating the push-back from colleagues as I wrote a more detailed version of my plan in section 3 of this week's assignment. I'm certain I haven't thought of everything - and I think that's the point.

Here's the template for your perusal and comments:

Action Planning Template
Goal: To improve instructional aide efficacy in student learning through the use of tablet technology.
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation

Survey faculty to determine sentiment on current use of instructional aides and elicit opinions on how aides could be better utilized.







Paul Stolt – developed survey.
Stacee Freeman – site supervisor

(completed prior to beginning EDLD 5301)

May 13 – May 17, 2013

Google Doc survey

Survey resulted in valuable information from faculty used to determine scope and sequence of research project. Review with site supervisor lead to wondering about how to implement a program to incorporate aides more fully.

Research current literature on instructional aide use in providing remediation and small-group instruction.
Identify curriculum areas of greatest need for intervention.


Develop menu of applications based on greatest need(s) and determine what training in implementation would be required.







Paul Stolt

Grade level representatives



August 2013

Access to internet



Synthesis of current research on topic presented to principal and grade representatives.
List of 4 – 6 areas of critical need established by committee of representatives and applications identified to address areas developed.
Aides trained in app usage and student engagement with device. Guidelines established for student use and schedule developed for aide intervention times.

Develop data gathering protocol and methodology.







Begin interventions informed by STAR assessment data.


Collect data from standardized assessments, anecdotal evidence from instructional aides.



Paul Stolt

Instructional aides










Classroom teachers

Principal

Literacy/Math Coaches

August 2013 – September 2013












October 2013 -April 2014

Google Doc Form for recording aide’s observations
Standard measure(s) of student achievement tied to curricular subject.




Interview form doc

Standardized assessments
Raz-kids.com assessments of literacy
Scootpad.com assessments of standards



Qualitative and quantitative measures determined to access effectiveness of interventions. Standard reporting form created to collect information from aides and teachers.

Weekly interview of aides and review of interview form to discern thoughts on effectiveness.
Standardized measures  reviewed to determine growth in student learning of designated subject matter.
Conclusions drawn from various data collected.

Conclude research, conduct analysis, and disseminate findings.








Paul Stolt
Stacee Freeman

May 2014 – July 2014

Google doc spread sheet

Action research report created to show results of project including analysis of data collected and opportunities for future research.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Your plan looks great! I like how you will have a menu of applications based off need. I also enjoy how you split up your plan. Visually you an see the flow of where your project is headed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul, I agree with Lisa. . . your plan is well-organized and very easy to follow. I also think you have chosen a really meaningful research project; I can see how it will play a positive role in adding value to the work of instructional aides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that your action research project will be useful to many of us. Using Instructional Aides is a point for all schools to consider unless the campus already has 100% of their IAs working with students 90-95% of the time. I know teachers need other kinds of help but IAs should spend most of their time with students doing some kind of intervention beneficial to that student. I will be watching closely for ideas for my campus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great plan! It flows well and is easy to understand. I am curious to see how it turns out. As I have mentioned before, we don't have aids that could be put to this type of use, but perhaps your research could be used to build a case for hiring aids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your entire blog page looks great! I think your action research plan is well organized and planned out. I think your topic is interesting, and I think that technology is so important to teach today's children. Good luck with your research and I will check on your progress as we go.

    ReplyDelete