"The teacher is the chief learner in the classroom."
- Donald Graves

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Six Simple "Truths"

I've been wondering about action research all week long and in the process discovered some recurring themes. I really want to call them truths, but that would be presumptuous.

  • The process is as important as the product.  
The process of arriving at a topic through reflecting on current practices creates value in an of itself. Simply by thinking purposefully about the subject under scrutiny, the researcher discovers new information.
  • Reflection is key.
Inquiry derived from reflection creates ownership in the research. Starting a project by wondering how to solve a problem, change a procedure, acquire new learning, motivate and train faculty or understand students better directly connects the researcher to the outcome.
  • Data-informed is more purposeful than data-driven.
Research requires data. Traditionally, data would be "hard" i.e. impersonal, mathematical, quantifiable. Action research factors in the "soft" data that personalizes the research. It does matter how research is perceived and how the subjects feel. While arguably less "scientific", the data-informed conclusions of action research provide greater insight, and, I would argue, increase the validity and potential for buy-in by those affected by research conclusions.
  • Purpose + practicality = significance 
Both Dr. Kirk Lewis and Steve Jenkins spoke on the requirement that action research be practical and not theoretical. The point of action research is to learn and apply that new learning to a real situation. Purpose determines the scope of the research and practicality provides the boundaries all leading to significant findings that can be implemented presently and applicable to the future.
  • Don't re-invent the wheel
Does this really require explanation? Given the wealth of knowledge literally at our fingertips, one of the first steps in any wondering should be to search for topical research on the Internet. Even if the project under consideration is unique, in the process of seeking, knowledge is found.
  • Students, students, students . . .
Action research not grounded in positively affecting student learning runs counter to the purpose of engaging in research. It's always about the students! Students are the reason schools exist. and their benefit is the number one priority of research. 

Let me know if you agree or disagree with the six "truths" above, or if you think of others that should be included by commenting to this post.



4 comments:

  1. Very nice reflection, Paul. I agree with your six points. Learning throughout the entire research process is key...it is not just the finish line, but the entire race. I also steer away from trying to "Re-invent the wheel." Researching what other, successful districts or schools have accomplished or implemented can be a great resource when it comes to my action research. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heartily agree with your six truths. This is an immensely better reflection of what we learned this week than what I blogged. You have given me a goal to reach...be as good as Paul. Keep that carrot out there for me.

    I particularly appreciate what you said about students. That is the reason I go to work every day. To make their lives better is what I want most in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You blogged exactly what I was thinking! Really! Just kidding. I enjoyed your reflection of this week. I, too, had these items resonate with me as I was reading them. The most important ones, I thought, were reflection is key,the project has to be meaningful, and it all has to be tied to student achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminded me that after countless hours this week developing my action research plan, I shouldn't lose sight of the process. I have worried about the fact that I will not have much of the typical quantative data, but you just reinforced why I am doing my resesrch. Even without the numbers, thoughts and feelings do validate findings, so thank you for refreshing my resolve to do this.

    ReplyDelete